GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an open source application that provides users with a free alternative to commercial image editing programs, such as Adobe Photoshop or Corel Painter.
It’s a sophisticated application, specifically designed for image retouching and editing or for creating stunning digital paintings using state-of-the-art functionality. The application can be used for photo montages, free-form drawing, image conversion, cropping, resizing, as well as more complex tasks.
Features at a glance
Key features include support for layers, layer masks and channels, color management, automation, basic image editing, paths and selections, filters, scripts and plugins. Supported operating systems include Linux, Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
While the program can import and export JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, SVG, and ICO image file formats, it can also read PDF and PostScript documents, as well as various other file formats from well known applications like Adobe Photoshop or Corel Paint Shop Pro.
A wide range of built-in filters will allow users to blur, enhance, distort, render and combine images, as well as to add shadows, borders, noise, maps, animation, and alpha to logo effects. In addition, the plugin architecture can be used to extend the default functionality of the application.
What's new in GIMP 2.8.18 :
- Initialize fontconfig cache in separate thread to keep GUI responsive on first startup
- Properly recognize layer masks as deactivated, e.g. for moving layers
- Create $XDG_DATA_HOME if it doesn't exist
- (CVE-2016-4994) Multiple Use-After-Free when parsing XCF channel and layer properties
- Fix progress access to prevent crash on rapid sequence of commands
- Fix crash in gimp-gradient-segment-range-move
- Disable color picker buttons on OS X to prevent a GUI lockup
- Disable "new-style" full-screen mode on OS X to prevent a crash
- Pulsing progress bar in splash screen to indicate unknown durations
- Fix gamut warning color for lcms display filter
- Fix unbolding of bold font on edit
- Prevent accidental renaming of wrong adjacent item
- Change compression settings to decrease size by 20%
- Add Catalan, Danish, French, Dutch
- Fix crash on sRGB JPEG image drag & drop
- Fix ambiguous octal-escaped output of c-source
- Fix KISS CEL export
- Fix progress bar for file-compressor
- Make Script-Fu regex match return proper character indexes for Unicode characters
- Fix Script-Fu modulo for large numbers
- Documentation updates
- Bug fixes
- Translation updates
How to : Install GIMP 2.8.18 on Linux Mint / Ubuntu and derivatives :
To Install/Update GIMP 2.8.18 on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial xerus, Ubuntu 15.04 vivid Vervet, ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr (LTS), Ubuntu 13.10/13.04/12.04, Linux Mint 18 sarah, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.4 loki, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Peppermint Five, Deepin 2014, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0, Linux Lite 2.2 and other Ubuntu derivative systems via PPA, open a new Terminal window and bash (get it?) in the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gimp
open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp